Thursday, January 14, 2010

Daybreakers

Okay, so its been a good bit of time since I've posted a movie review. I only do this, as according with my philosophy, I believe movies and other people's creations are a great way to break writer's block. Even if you don't neccessarily enjoy what you watched. You can check out my archive for an article about this from October 2009.

Anyhow, Daybreakers. Where to begin? Firstly, I didnt like it. I didn't dislike it either. It was mildly entertaining, but I wouldn't neccessarily pay money to see it. Certainly not as good as Avatar, which I suppose I will do a review of tommorrow.

Essentially its a movie about Vampires ruling the world, and using the Humans as a food supply. They apparently drain the humans too quick, and the humans begin to die. Thus, they now have a crisis with their blood supply.

Its a thinly veiled commentary about oil consumption. And really not all that impressive of one either. There are several logical flaws that quickly come about.

Firstly, are you telling me a society of vampires would be too stupid to control their population growth, or more importantly, to only drain safe amounts of blood from a person? The average 150 pound person can be drained of a quart, if in medical environment, and survive, and replenish it within 10 or 11 days. So drain 1/12th of a quart of blood per day from each human, just to be on the safe side. The city of Stone Mountain has some 12,000 people, thats 1000 quarts of blood drained per day.

But we can excuse this lack of logic for the sake of the message they try to convey? In all honesty, I don't believe so. The parallel is flimsy at best. Oil is a need for our society, but in terms of daily consumption, we can vastly reduce the amount of daily consumption of petrol. And even if one day all the petrol 'stopped', which it will, we would face massive unrest, famine, and probably war. But in truth, we would probably replace just in time shipping with coal-powered train shipping. Most people would be paid far less. Standards of living would drop. But life would go on.

So, see it? Only if you like poorly constructed Vampire movies. Seriously.

What should you see in its place?

Four Roses

No comments:

Post a Comment